RWC Biotech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All things Biotech.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Analytical Chem report #8

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sllawson0

Analytical Chem report #8 Empty
PostSubject: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2009 10:42 pm

Has anyone done this yet?
I have my equivalence point volume.
I wrote that we have to calculate the mols of acid by taking the eq. pt. volume of NaOH, changing it to mols of NaOH and then changing that to mols of acid.
How do we get mols of acid if we do not know the mol ratio? Do we assume a 1:1 ratio?
Back to top Go down
johnss1

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 12:01 am

Yes? I THINK he said something about that in class when he was showing us the calculations.......
Back to top Go down
Sllawson0

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 12:19 am

That is how I am doing it. I also emailed him about the graphs and he said we only need to use one trial for the graphs.
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Wait, my notes say he wants 2 graphs for each trial, and there are 2 trials. Now he told you we only have to do one trial?

I'm about to rage.
Back to top Go down
johnss1

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:06 pm

Are you taking HGH kyle? lol
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:34 pm

BTW Shauna, this HGH stuff isn't gonna cut it. This is just a bunch of random info I could find from googling. You need to organize all this crap into something that can be put on slides and formatted for a 5 minute presentation. Copying and pasting isn't "researching". I'm not going to do this entire project AND present it. It should be broken down into:

1 person researches the information to be presented.
1 person organizes a powerpoint presentation.
1 person presents in front of the class.

We don't need 2 people "researching", when it's the easiest part of the @!#$#@ project. Mad

And Josh hasn't sent me anything anyway.
Back to top Go down
LWhitacre

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:53 pm

Did you use 2 sheets in eXcel? One for raw data & one for 2 graphs?
Back to top Go down
johnss1

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 9:23 pm

kyle, I got you information and i got you pictures, honestly, what more do you want? All you have to do it put what information you want in the slide. All i sent you was specifically about the Structure.... well... some of the info is on function, but I didn't seperate it just in case you wanted to put some stuff in it or whatever. The reason we broke it up the way we did is because the person who just gives the presentation.... isn't doing an equal amount of work and the person doing all the research is doing the bulk of it. I broke it up this way so its more of an equal spread. And if you are going to give the entire presentation it would be better for you to put the presentation together so you know what you want to say and when. If i make up my own slides i'm going to present them and then you won't have done as much work. Now, I can go back and take out some of the information and give you less to work with to make it "easier" for you if you'd like. But all I'm asking you to do is organize the presentation the way YOU want cus you are giving the presentation.
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 9:52 pm

So I need to sort through the information available (i.e. researching), I need to then create a power point presentation, and then I need to present it? That's the entire project, and its majorly unfair. If you don't think presenting the project is as much work, then you are more than welcome to do it and I will create the power point and even sort through all this information for you. I offered to present it if you guys created it - if that is too much work for two people then I am trading with one of you. I'm not interested in this protein anyway, so maybe you guys would be more enthusiastic about presenting it. We don't have a lot of time to argue about it so call Josh or whatever and figure out how you want to fairly split it.

Anyways, back on topic. What do I do after I find my equivalence point? WTF is N in that equation that is given us? Normality? Wouldn't that just be 1 if you only had one EP? I'm lost.
Back to top Go down
johnss1

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Check your email, already re sent it and i'm not in control of josh, I emailed him and thats all i can do.
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 10:27 pm

I got an equivalence weight of 6.02 . Does that sound right? (it's just grams divided by L of NaOH used?)
Back to top Go down
Sllawson0

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 10:33 pm

I have my data for ph and volume on one sheet with the titration curve. On the second sheet I have the 1st derivative information and the graph that goes with that.
He basically said that you only need to do the graphs and calculations for your best trial. That would mean a titration curve and an equivalence point (1st derivative) graph for that trial. That is a total of 2 graphs, but if you did sheets for both trials, it would be 4 graphs.
Back to top Go down
Sllawson0

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 10:34 pm

My equivalence weight came out to 74.94 g/mol. I got mols of acid then took my mass used and divided it by that.
Back to top Go down
LWhitacre

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 12:19 am

is it possible to have 2 equivalence points? like, did anybody have a mixture?
I think it's a 1:1 mole ratio, monoprotic. could be strong or weak. But should be just 1 equivalence point, right?
Back to top Go down
johnss1

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 12:26 am

For this lab, I think you could have two, cus I have two on mine, but the lab manual says to only use the equivalence point that is more defined, which for me for example is the 2nd one.
Back to top Go down
Sllawson0

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 am

Also, my 2 equivalence points are right next to each other. One is at 13.00 mL and the other at 13.3 mL. They aren't spaced out equally and since they are so close, I am not going to worry about them. Maybe I will go ahead and graph my other trial and see what it comes out to be.
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 1:27 am

How long is your guys' conclusion on this one? Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot to say since there's only two graphs and one or two calculations...

Does one visible Equiv. point mean your unknown was monoprotic?
Back to top Go down
LWhitacre

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 3:45 am

from everything i understand, there was supposed to only be one equivalence point. If there was a second, much larger E.P., then we were supposed to assume that is the real one to use for finding the Eq Wt

I only had 1 very clear & pointed equivalence point. Of course, I have 100 data points.
Do we have to put in data for both trials? Don't know where to squeeze it. Really would like to use 3 pages in the spreadsheet & think I will put the other sample data on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Analytical Chem report #8   Analytical Chem report #8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Analytical Chem report #8
Page 1 of 1