RWC Biotech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All things Biotech.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Biotech I Final

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sllawson0

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Is everyone just going back to the Ion Exchange information for study purposes? I had asked her about it and she said that for definitions and stuff that the final would only have stuff since our midterm. The only thing from before that will be solution calculations and dilutions.

Any ideas on what she may ask that we should focus on?
Back to top Go down
LWhitacre

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 8:12 pm

I assumed it would be a cumulative exam. It would be helpful if we only have to be concerned with Ex. 5 Gel Filtration and later labs. I think we should send her an email for clarification. Do you want to do this, or me, or both?

Our midterm covered through Ex. 4 - Ammonium Sulfate precipitation.
Back to top Go down
LWhitacre

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 10:45 pm

The final is only 100 pts. Looking at midterm, I expect:

10 [points - true/false - How to Label Figures, Tables, & Photos
- Something from the Seidman text about Lab #10,
- Differences in 3 types of Chromatography

A full page - 15 points probably on Immunosera/Antibodies, beginning with injecting the rabbit, mouse, or goat. ( I seem to have conveniently misplaced that miserable quiz.) Know it backward & forward. Mouse anti-goat (naming)

10 points Definitions: specific activity, yield. ELISA. Bed volume - how to calculate. Exclusion limit.

How to prepare & pack a column, select size of beads based on Molecular Weight, anion or cation, fractions. Probably 15 points

* How pI changes with change in pH
* Designing a technique to locate a protein - she said we must "get this"
Lecture 5 - the 9th slide
Assaying for protein - -
Total protein - A280, Bradford
Specific protein - absorbance spectra if colored
Biological activity
SDS-PAGE and/or western
Back to top Go down
Sllawson0

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 10:52 pm

The first exam actually went through gel filtration. So it covered labs 1-5. This one should only cover 6-10, including some calculations like dilutions for ELISA and maybe making a solution.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 12:01 am

Only thing I'm worried about is the material that isn't on the quizzes/tests/manual. Like the handouts she gave us for the Elisa and such.

Are you guys reviewing all of those as well?
Back to top Go down
https://rwcbio.forumotion.com
LWhitacre

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 12:29 am

I am focusing on the Lecture notes - about ELISA, etc. I will probably skim the hand-outs but I think she is good about teaching what she expects we will need to know.

My stupid concern for the moment is the lab notebook. Found in my notes that we should have the make & model of devices, equipment. I don't have it for spectrometers, centrifuges, whatevers.
And, missing reagent Lot #'s & expire dates for ELISA - the little brown bottles from the kit.
Back to top Go down
Sllawson0

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:38 am

I am not using the ELISA worksheets to study from. I think they basically have the same info as her notes though. I think the main things to go over are the notes, quizzes and even lab report questions.
Back to top Go down
LWhitacre

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:40 am

Dont forget, the instructor posted an example quiz on Blackboard of what we should know about Immunoblot/western.
And I saw the google bot on here. I am finally captured on google - argh
Back to top Go down
kyle

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 3:27 am

Do we need to have all the formulas memorized, like Specific Enzyme Activity and Enrichment?
Back to top Go down
Sllawson0

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 3:49 am

I think so Kyle.
Back to top Go down
kyle

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 4:06 am

I'm gonna try to get there maybe 20 minutes early or so, for some last minute cramming and to ask anything I'm unsure of (and to make sure I'm awake). So far in my studying I haven't really encountered anything really difficult. If this thing isn't cumulative I think I will do decent on it. My lab notebook might hurt my grade a little though Sad
Back to top Go down
kyle

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 4:09 am

Wait, is this in the lab or the classroom?
Back to top Go down
LWhitacre

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 5:37 am

Thanks for the reminders about the enzyme formulas. No clue where the exam will be held. It's a Monday & we tend to be in the classroom on Mondays.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Biotech I Final Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biotech I Final   Biotech I Final I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Biotech I Final
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RWC Biotech :: General-
Jump to: