RWC Biotech
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All things Biotech.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

SDS-Page lab report

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sllawson0

SDS-Page lab report Empty
PostSubject: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 2:59 am

What does question #1 about linear range refer to? I don't see anything about it in the notes or lab book. Is it based on the standard curve you draw? So if my line starts at 380,000 daltons on the y-axis and I have it go all the way down to 2400 daltons, then that is the linear range?
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 2:21 am

The linear range is, and I quote (from her lecture notes) "Part of the standard curve where concentration of analyte vs absorbance remains linear. -Only samples that fall within the linear range can be accurately estimated." In other words, its just the range of dots on your graph that form close to a straight line.
Back to top Go down
Sllawson0

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 3:30 am

So, my line does not actually pass through any of the points. How do I know which ones to include as the linear range?
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 3:35 am

It's not necessarily where your best fit line is...it is the range of points (if any) that have the an almost linear relationship. It could be just three or four points, or it could be a bunch, they just have to make close to a line with each other. Like if you have a bunch that are under your best fit line, and you could draw a line under your best fit line that makes a straight line through those points, then that would be considered the "linear range". I hope I'm not making it sound more complicated than it is. There's a picture in the lecture 3 notes if that might help.
Back to top Go down
Sllawson0

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:02 am

So if my linear range is like from .28 - .75, I can only estimate the molecular weight of the proteins in that range. The ones above or below that range cannot be estimated, right?
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:18 am

Outside of that range they would not be accurate, so no, you cannot estimate outside of that "linear range".
Back to top Go down
Sllawson0

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:33 am

I think this is my last question! So in your table for data question number 3 - do you have points that you wrote that you cannot accurately estimate?
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:59 am

I'm thinking I'll include them and just mention in question 1 which ones were inaccurate. I assume it would be better than omitting them when they were actually necessary. /shrug
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 5:06 am

What exactly are we supposed to label on this figure?

YAY FOR ANOTHER @#$@% AMBIGUOUS ASSIGNMENT!! Mad
Back to top Go down
Sllawson0

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 5:29 am

Label the lanes (I called mine lane 1,2, 3, 4) then in the figure legend I described what each lane was. I also labeled the dye front.
I also put in the figure legend what was used - coomassie blue stain, 10% gel and that is was run at 200 volts.
Back to top Go down
johnss1

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 6:04 am

Calm down kyle.... breath in.... breath out.... Wink
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 6:28 am

Shauna what exactly was in each one of our lanes?
Back to top Go down
johnss1

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 6:44 am

well, going from left to right on the picture she posted on blackboard, it is the kaleidiscope (sp?), the broad range, the tube two mixture, then the tube 1 mixture.
Back to top Go down
kyle

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 6:46 am

Thank you kindly cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SDS-Page lab report   SDS-Page lab report I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SDS-Page lab report
Page 1 of 1